Published May 1, 2012
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Various efforts have been developed for the optimization of the various stages in vitro micropropagation. The maturation stage and pre-acclimatization plantlets is an important stages that must be considered to produce vigorous plants and ready to be planted in the field. The purpose of this study was to reduced shoot tip necrosis in cocoa planlets to obtaine vigorous planlets from in vitro propagation through the addition of Calcium Chloride (CaCl2). The study used two stages of embryogenic development. The first was embryo maturation stage and the second was the shoot growth development stage. The study was arranged factorially in experiment design of Completely Randomized Design consisting of two factors i.e. concentration of CaCl2 consisted of 0, 50, 100, 150, and 200 mg/l and clones consisted of Sulawesi 1 and Sca 6. Each experiment was repeated three times, so the number of combination trials were 5x2x3=30 experimental units. The parameters observed included shoot growth percentage and vigorous planlets percentage. The results showed that the addition of CaCl2 at a concentration of 150 mg/l during maturition stage increased the embryos performance and percentage of shoot tip. However, it could not prevent the shoot tip necrosis. Whereas, the addition at a concentration of 50 mg/l during the shoot m growth development stage could reduced necrosis, suggested to increase the quality of in vitro planlets.Key words: Cocoa, necrosis, calcium chloride, somatic embryogenesis, embryos, planlets, in vitro.
How to Cite
Pancaningtyas, S. (2012). Effectiveness of calcium chloride in reduction of shoot necrosis incocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) in vitro propagation. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 28(1), 23-31. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v28i1.161
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Teguh Iman Santoso, Sudarsianto ., Study of Seed Germination by Soaking Methode of Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 3 (2014)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, The effect of 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on in vitro callogenesis of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 2 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Study on the presence and influence of phenolic compounds in callogenesis and somatic embryo development of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.). , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 1 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Evaluation of Quantity and Hyperhydricity of Cocoa Somatic Embryo Obtained from Solid Culture, Liquid Culture, and Sequence Subculture , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 1 (2013)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Teguh Iman Santoso, Hardian Susilo Addy, Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Role of Exogenous Salicylic Acid and Benzoic Acid Applications to Vascular Streak Dieback Disease Attack on Cocoa Seedlings , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 34 No 1 (2018)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Callogenesis and Embryogenic Potential of New Superior Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Genotypes Treated with Ascorbic Acid , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 37 No 3 (2021)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Analysis of Cocoa Clonal Seedlings Purity Through Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Barcoding and Random Amplification of Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Fingerprinting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 1 (2022)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Dwi Suci Rahayu, DNA Barcoding for Identification of Helopeltis sp. from Kaliwining Experimental Station using Mitochondrial COI Gene , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 3 (2022)