Published Apr 12, 2022
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Agung Wahyu Susilo
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute, Jl. PB Sudirman 90, Jember, Indonesia
The genetic purity of a plant indicates the similarity properties between seedlings in the field and the description of the plant in the database. Identifying plant purity through a morphological approach has several drawbacks, including time efficiency and environmental factors, and the diversity is limited and inconsistent. This condition encourages the development of detection methods using DNA molecular markers. Plant identification through fingerprinting or the use of molecular markers has not been widely carried out on a commercial scale, considering the investment costs for this analysis are still quite expensive. Another method used for plant identification through DNA Barcoding by comparing variations between DNA sequences. The primers used to identify barcodes on cocoa were derived from the chloroplast genome, including rbcL and matK. This research aims to see the consistency of the rbcL primer when applied to other cocoa clones, and the analysis of the polymorphic diversity of each cocoa clone using DNA fingerprinting RAPD. This method will be tested on clones of Sulawesi 1, Sulawesi 2, ICCRI 03, and ICCRI 09, which were propagated by SE and mother plants in the field using cocoa leaf samples. The stages include DNA extraction, sequencing, and analysis of the sequencing results. The results of seedlings uniformity analysis using DNA barcoding on cocoa plants produced from in vitro propagation showed that the multiplied seeds did not show any difference in sequence with the parent plant (DR2, Sulawesi 1, Sulawesi 2, and ICCRI 09). The analysis of the diversity of cocoa clones DR 2, MCC 2, Sulawesi 1, Sulawesi 2, and ICCRI 09 through DNA Fingerprinting RAPD showed that the OPA 15 primer produced a more apparent polymorphic band than the other three primers (OPP 08, OPW 11, and M 29).
How to Cite
Pancaningtyas, S., & Wahyu Susilo, A. (2022). Analysis of Cocoa Clonal Seedlings Purity Through Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Barcoding and Random Amplification of Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Fingerprinting. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 38(1), 20-28. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v38i1.490
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Teguh Iman Santoso, Sudarsianto ., Study of Seed Germination by Soaking Methode of Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 3 (2014)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, The effect of 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on in vitro callogenesis of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 2 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Study on the presence and influence of phenolic compounds in callogenesis and somatic embryo development of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.). , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 1 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Effectiveness of calcium chloride in reduction of shoot necrosis incocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) in vitro propagation , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 1 (2012)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Evaluation of Quantity and Hyperhydricity of Cocoa Somatic Embryo Obtained from Solid Culture, Liquid Culture, and Sequence Subculture , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 1 (2013)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Teguh Iman Santoso, Hardian Susilo Addy, Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Role of Exogenous Salicylic Acid and Benzoic Acid Applications to Vascular Streak Dieback Disease Attack on Cocoa Seedlings , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 34 No 1 (2018)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Callogenesis and Embryogenic Potential of New Superior Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Genotypes Treated with Ascorbic Acid , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 37 No 3 (2021)
- Indah Anita Sari, Bayu Setyawan, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Nurhadini Fitri Isnaini, Samsul Paputpungan, Febrilia Nur’aini, Nur Solecha Ruseani, Flush characteristics of several cocoa genotypes different in resistant to vascular streak dieback , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 2 (2022)