Published Mar 31, 2015
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) like most tropical trees is recalcitrant in tissue culture. Somatic embryogenesis is generally efficient micropropagation technique to multiply elite material. However, Somatic embryogenesis in cocoa is difficult and this species is considered as recalcitrant. One of the factors often considered as a component of in vitro recalsitrance is a high phenolic content and oxidation of these compounds. In cocoa tissue culture accumulate large amounts of poliphenolics compounds which probably impair further development. This study was conducted to investigate the composition of phenolic compounds in cocoa flower and leaves, and their changes troughout the somatic embryogenesis process. Calli were induced in cacao floral and leaves explants on a half-strenght Murashige and Skoog medium containing 30 g/L Glucose and combination of 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4 D) with kinetin (kin). Total polyphenol content was observed on Sulawesi 1 cocoa clone. Embryogenic and non-embryogenic callus were also compared. The percentage of callus production from flower tissue is 85%, percentage of embryogenic callus 40 %, although the percentage of somatic embryo production from embryogenic callus callus is 70%. The conservation of callus into somatic embryos followed by decline in phenol content and an increase in peroxidase. The synthesis kinetics for these compounds in calli, under different somatic embryogenesis conditions, revealed a higher concentration under non-embryogenic conditions. So that, phenolic compound can influence the production of calli and an absence the phenolic compound can enhance production of somatic embryo.Kata kunci: Theobroma cacao L., polifenol, embrio somatik, kalus, flavonoid, katekin, in vitro recalcitance
How to Cite
Pancaningtyas, S. (2015). Study on the presence and influence of phenolic compounds in callogenesis and somatic embryo development of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.). Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 31(1), 14-20. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v31i1.81
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Teguh Iman Santoso, Sudarsianto ., Study of Seed Germination by Soaking Methode of Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 3 (2014)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, The effect of 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on in vitro callogenesis of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 2 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Effectiveness of calcium chloride in reduction of shoot necrosis incocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) in vitro propagation , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 1 (2012)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Evaluation of Quantity and Hyperhydricity of Cocoa Somatic Embryo Obtained from Solid Culture, Liquid Culture, and Sequence Subculture , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 1 (2013)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Teguh Iman Santoso, Hardian Susilo Addy, Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Role of Exogenous Salicylic Acid and Benzoic Acid Applications to Vascular Streak Dieback Disease Attack on Cocoa Seedlings , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 34 No 1 (2018)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Callogenesis and Embryogenic Potential of New Superior Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Genotypes Treated with Ascorbic Acid , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 37 No 3 (2021)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Analysis of Cocoa Clonal Seedlings Purity Through Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Barcoding and Random Amplification of Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Fingerprinting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 1 (2022)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Dwi Suci Rahayu, DNA Barcoding for Identification of Helopeltis sp. from Kaliwining Experimental Station using Mitochondrial COI Gene , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 3 (2022)