Published Dec 27, 2021
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Clonal propagation is an alternative method of maintaining the genetic purity of superior cocoa plants (Theobroma cacao L.). The somatic embryogenesis technique is likely the most effective and efficient method for plant propagation. This study aimed at investigating the callogenesis and embryogenic potential of new superior cocoa clones on culture media added with various concentrations of antioxidants and variation in the concentration of auxin hormone combined with ascorbic acid. The superior clones used in this study were MCC 01, MCC 02, Sulawesi 3, ICCRI 07, and ICCRI 09. The parameters observed in this study were percentage of embryogenic callus formation, number of secondary somatic embryos, and percentage of embryo somatic cells that develop into planlets. The addition of 2,4,5-T combined with ascorbic acid affected the initiation of cocoa secondary somatic embryogenesis. Treatment combination of ascorbic acid 100 mg.L-1 and 2,4,5-T 1 mg.L-1 had a significant effect on the initiation of secondary somatic embryogenesis of cocoa in the embryogenic callus phase (4.73%), globular embryos (2.53%), torpedo embryos (4.67%) and sprouts (0.47%). Three clones i.e ICCRI 07, Sulawesi 3 and ICCRI 09 clones showed a higher percentage (3.0%, 2.10%, and 1.80%, respectively) of embryogenic callus growth than the other clones. Meanwhile, on MCC 01 clone, all treatments did not affect the regeneration of embryogenic callus. The combination treatment of organic acid and adenine showed a low embryogenic callus response in MCC 01 and MCC 02 clones. However, MCC 02 clone also did not show a response in form of globular, torpedo, and germination phase somatic embryo regenerations. This indicates that different plant cultivars show different responses to the addition of organic acids. Treatment combinations of adenine 0.0125 mg.L-1 + ascorbic acid 100 mg.L-1 gave the best response to the regeneration of somatic embryos for the globular, torpedo, and g
How to Cite
Pancaningtyas, S. (2021). Callogenesis and Embryogenic Potential of New Superior Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Genotypes Treated with Ascorbic Acid. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 37(3), 184-196. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v37i3.472
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Teguh Iman Santoso, Sudarsianto ., Study of Seed Germination by Soaking Methode of Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 3 (2014)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, The effect of 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on in vitro callogenesis of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 2 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Study on the presence and influence of phenolic compounds in callogenesis and somatic embryo development of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.). , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 1 (2015)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Effectiveness of calcium chloride in reduction of shoot necrosis incocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) in vitro propagation , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 1 (2012)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Evaluation of Quantity and Hyperhydricity of Cocoa Somatic Embryo Obtained from Solid Culture, Liquid Culture, and Sequence Subculture , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 1 (2013)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Teguh Iman Santoso, Hardian Susilo Addy, Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Role of Exogenous Salicylic Acid and Benzoic Acid Applications to Vascular Streak Dieback Disease Attack on Cocoa Seedlings , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 34 No 1 (2018)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Analysis of Cocoa Clonal Seedlings Purity Through Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Barcoding and Random Amplification of Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) Fingerprinting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 1 (2022)
- Sulistyani Pancaningtyas, Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Dwi Suci Rahayu, DNA Barcoding for Identification of Helopeltis sp. from Kaliwining Experimental Station using Mitochondrial COI Gene , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 3 (2022)