Published Aug 31, 2013
Main Article Content
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Dynamics of market changing as a result of market liberalization have an impact on agricultural commodities price fluctuation. High volatility on cocoa price movement reflect its price and market risk. Because of price and market uncertainty, the market players face some difficulties to make a decision in determining business development. This research was conducted to 1) understand the characteristics of cocoa price movement in cocoa futures trading, and 2)analyze cocoa price volatility using ARCH and GARCH type model. Research was carried out by direct observation on the pattern of cocoa price movement in the futures trading and volatility analysis based on secondary data. The data was derived from Intercontinental Exchange ( ICE) Futures U.S. Reports. The analysis result showed that GARCH is the best model to predict the value of average cocoa price return volatility, because it meets criteria of three diagnostic checking, which are ARCH-LM test, residual autocorrelation test and residual normality test. Based on the ARCH-LM test, GARCH (1,1)did not have heteroscedasticity, because p-value 2 (0.640139)and F-statistic (0.640449) were greater than 0.05. Results of residual autocorrelation test indicated that residual value of GARCH (1,1) was random, because the statistic value of Ljung-Box (LB)on the 36 th lag is smaller than the statistic value of 2. Whereas, residual normality test concluded the residual of GARCH (1,1) were normally distributed, because AR (29), MA (29), RESID (-1)^2, and GARCH (-1) were significant at 5% significance level. Increasing volatility value indicate high potential risk. Price risk can be reduced by managing financial instrument in futures trading such as forward and futures contract, and hedging. The research result also give an insight to the market player for decision making and determining time of hedging. Key words: Volatility, price, cocoa, GARCH, risk, futures trading
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Lya Aklimawati, Yusianto ., Surip Mawardi, Characteristics of Quality Profile and Agribusiness of Robusta Coffee in Tambora Mountainside, Sumbawa , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 2 (2014)
- Lya Aklimawati, Teguh Wahyudi, Effect of Price Determinants on World Cocoa Prices for Over the Last Three Decades: Error Correction Model (ECM) Approach , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 3 (2013)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Sumarno, Surip Mawardi, Effect of Service Quality on Coffee Based Economic Cluster Development on Farmers and other Stakeholders Satisfaction in Bondowoso District , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 1 (2015)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Soemarno, Surip Mawardi, Identification and Mapping of Readiness of Micro and Small Coffee Industry Cluster Development , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 3 (2015)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Soemarno, Surip Mawardi, Application of Marketing Mix in Home Industry: Focussed on Micro and Small-Scale Coffee Industries , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 1 (2016)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Soemarno, Surip Mawardi, Factors Affecting Micro and Small-Scale Industries Income: A Case Study on Coffee Processing Industry , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 2 (2016)
- Lya Aklimawati, Comparison of Competitiveness for Crop Estate Commodities in ASEAN and European Markets: Constant Market Share Approach , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 3 (2016)