Published Apr 30, 2017
Main Article Content
Ariza Budi Tunjung
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Estrogen is a hormone that influences the growth of uterus. Ovariectomized rats lose their ovaries as the main source of estrogen so their uterus tends to shrink. The objective of thise study was to evaluate the potency of cocoa as an estrogen substitute, which was done through an experiment that tested the influence of cocoa products on the uterus weight of ovariectomized rats. There were five treatments and in each of the treatments, six wistar rats were given the substance for three days. Four groups of treatment consisted of ovariectomized rats given cocoa extract (875.2 ppm of polyphenols, 1 g/kg of body weight, BW), cocoa powder (369.8 ppm of polyphenols, 1 g/kg BW), olive oil (10 mL/kg BW), or estradiol valerate (1 mg/kg BW). The fifth group consisted of intact (non-ovariectomized) rats given 10 mL/kg BW of water. The finding showed that the ovariectomized rats given olive oil had lower uterus weight than that of intact rats, while the ovariectomized rats given estradiol valerate had higher uterus weight compared to the intact and olive oil groups. The ovariectomized rats given cocoa powder and extract had higher uterus weight compared to those given only olive oil; although they were not significantly different. Correlation between the body weight and uterus weight varied across treatment groups. The rats given olive oil showed significant, positive correlation, while the intact rats showed moderate, positive correlation. The rats given estradiol valerate and cocoa powder showed non-significant correlation. Since the polyphenol content in cocoa powder was at lower concentration than that in the cocoa extract, it was predicted that cocoa polyphenols are more potential in the lower concentration. This study concludes that even though consumption of cocoa powder and extract did not significantly induced uterus growth, cocoa is still considered having estrogenic activity by lowering the correlation between the body weight and uterus weight in ovariectomized rats.
How to Cite
Budi Tunjung, A., Jati, M., Pudjiastuti, P., & Baktir, A. (2017). Uterus Weight of Ovariectomized Rats Given Cocoa Powder and Extract. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 33(1), 45-50. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v33i1.253
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Misnawi Jati, Susijahadi ., Jinap Selamat, Teguh Wahyudi, Novrita Putriani, Effects of Alkali Concentration and Conching Temperature on Flavour, Hardness and Colour of Chocolate , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 22 No 2 (2006)
- Misnawi Jati, Physical Characteristics of Cocoa Butter and Palm Stearin Mixture in Milk Chocolate System , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 24 No 3 (2008)
- Misnawi Jati, Changes in procyanidins and tannin concentration as affected by cocoa liquor roasting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 25 No 2 (2009)
- Misnawi Jati, Changes in procyanidins and tannin concentration as affected by cocoa liquor roasting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 26 No 3 (2010)
- Misnawi Jati, Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Analysis of Pyrazine and Volatile Compounds in Cocoa Beans Using Solid Phase Microextraction , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 27 No 1 (2011)
- Misnawi Jati, Effects of Fructose and Tapioca Flour on physical and Sensory Properties of Chocolate Bar , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 27 No 3 (2011)
- D.M.H. A.H. Farah, Zaibunnisa, A.H Zaibunnisa, A.H, Misnawi Jati, Optimization of cocoa nib roasting based on sensory properties and colour using response surface methodology , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 1 (2012)
- Ariza Budi Tunjung-Sari, Teguh Wahyudi, Diana Chusna Mufida, Mekania Tamarizki, Desyana Perwitahati, Ihda Kartika Syamsuddin, Misnawi Jati, Use of cocoa ethanolic extract for treatment of Staphylococcal infection in rabbit-skin model , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 1 (2016)