Published Dec 31, 2008
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Chocolate products for consumption in tropical areas frequently become soft and tend to bloom due to melting and migration of fat contained, the product becomes dully and less interesting. Fat fraction determines chocolate texture, appearance and its handling. Objective of this research is to study the characteristic of mixed fat of cocoa butter, milk fat and stearin; in which the latest was added into a chocolate formula expected to increase its physical characteristic. Response Surface Methodology design was used for the study at stearin concentration of 10–60 g kg-1 and lecithin of 1–7 g kg-1. Parameters of the study were fat melting point, chocolate hardness and preference on chocolate texture and overall acceptance. Result of the study showed that the stearin concentration significantly altered chocolate physical characteristic, where the lecithin concentration did not influence. The presence of stearin in milk chocolate system showed fat eutectic phenomenon. Substitution of cocoa butter with stearin up to concentration of 35 g kg-1 in the formulation showed a clear eutectic; however, at higher concentrations the phenomenon was compensated by the increase in stearin crystal seed which raised melting point and hardness. This result also clearly indicated that cocoa butter substitution with palm stearin to obtain resistant chocolate should be designed in a range of 43–60 g kg-1 in its formulation, equal to 15–18% from cocoa butter added.Key words : chocolate, cocoa butter, stearin, eutectic, solidifier, emulsifier, melting point, texture.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Misnawi Jati, Susijahadi ., Jinap Selamat, Teguh Wahyudi, Novrita Putriani, Effects of Alkali Concentration and Conching Temperature on Flavour, Hardness and Colour of Chocolate , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 22 No 2 (2006)
- Misnawi Jati, Changes in procyanidins and tannin concentration as affected by cocoa liquor roasting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 25 No 2 (2009)
- Misnawi Jati, Changes in procyanidins and tannin concentration as affected by cocoa liquor roasting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 26 No 3 (2010)
- Misnawi Jati, Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Analysis of Pyrazine and Volatile Compounds in Cocoa Beans Using Solid Phase Microextraction , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 27 No 1 (2011)
- Misnawi Jati, Effects of Fructose and Tapioca Flour on physical and Sensory Properties of Chocolate Bar , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 27 No 3 (2011)
- D.M.H. A.H. Farah, Zaibunnisa, A.H Zaibunnisa, A.H, Misnawi Jati, Optimization of cocoa nib roasting based on sensory properties and colour using response surface methodology , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 1 (2012)
- Ariza Budi Tunjung-Sari, Teguh Wahyudi, Diana Chusna Mufida, Mekania Tamarizki, Desyana Perwitahati, Ihda Kartika Syamsuddin, Misnawi Jati, Use of cocoa ethanolic extract for treatment of Staphylococcal infection in rabbit-skin model , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 1 (2016)
- Ariza Budi Tunjung, Misnawi Jati, Pratiwi Pudjiastuti, Afaf Baktir, Uterus Weight of Ovariectomized Rats Given Cocoa Powder and Extract , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 33 No 1 (2017)