Published Aug 31, 2014
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Coffee berry borer [CBB, Hypothenemus hampei (Ferr.)] is the main pest on coffee causing a significant losses. Distribution pattern of the pest is not known deeply until now, especially in Indonesia. The data of distribution pattern of pest is very important in constructing the strategy of integrated pest management, especially to determine a sampling method for monitoring of the pest. This experiment aimed to reveal the distribution pattern of CBB both spatially and vertically. The experiment was conducted on Arabica and Robusta coffee, located in Kalibendo estate in Banyuwangi East Java. A plot with 400 (20 x 20) of coffee trees were observed for infestation and population of CBB, at four branches on south, north, east and west directions for each tree. Collected data were analyzed to obtain the value of mean, variance (=s2), variance/mean relationship (=I), index of Morisita (=Iδ), coefficient of Green (=Cx) and k exponent of Negative Binomial. Results of the experiment revealed that spatial distribution pattern of CBB, both on Arabica an Robusta coffee, as well as for infestation and population parameters, was fit with aggregated or clumped distribution. For vertical distribution, it inclined that CBB infestation and population in the lower part of coffee tree was higher than in central and upper part of coffee tree. Plenty of infested coffee berries leaved on soil surface may result in higher infestation and population in the lower part.Key words: Arabica coffee, Robusta coffee, Hypothenemus hampei, spatial distribution, vertical distribution.
How to Cite
Wiryadiputra, S. (2014). Distribution Pattern of Coffee Berry Borer (Hypothenemus Hampei) on Arabica and Robusta Coffee. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 30(2), 123-136. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v30i2.5
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Soekadar Wiryadiputra, Use of Trapping for Controlling of Coffee Berry Borer (Hypothenemus hampei) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 22 No 2 (2006)
- soekadar wiryadiputra, Effect of picung (Pangium edule) plant extracts as a botanical pesticide on mortality of coffee berry borer (Hypothenemus hampei) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 3 (2014)
- Irfan Fauzi, soekadar wiryadiputra, Population of Pratylenchus coffeae (Z.) and growth of Arabica coffee seedling inoculated by Pseudomonas diminuta L. and Bacillus subtilis (C.). , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 1 (2015)
- Asriyah Firdausi, Tri Agus Siswoyo, Soekadar Wiryadiputra, Identification of Potential Plants Producing Tannin-protein Complex for a-amylase as Botanical Pesticide , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 1 (2013)
- Soekadar Wiryadiputra, Keefektifan insektisida cyantraniliprole terhadap hama penggerek buah kopi ( Hypothenemus hampei) pada ko pi arabika ( Effectiveness cyantraniliprole against coffee berry borer (Hypothenemus hampei)on arabica coffee. , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 2 (2012)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Soekadar Wiryadiputra, Diversity of Arthropods and Parasitic Nematodes Population in Intercropping Patterns of Robusta Coffee , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 35 No 1 (2019)