Published Dec 31, 2015
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Febrilia Nur AINI
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Beauveria bassiana is one of the entomopathogen fungi which is known as biological control agent of cocoa pod borer and cocoa mirids (Helopeltis spp.). Because of its effectiveness in the fields is still not consistent, so we conduct a research with the objective to know the possibility of Beauveria bassiana to be established as a endophyte. Various fungal entomopathogens have already been reported as endophytes and the various methods used to inoculate the plants with B. bassiana were partially effective. The research has been conducted in laboratory of Plant Protection, Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute by inoculating of cocoa seeds and cocoa nursery with B. bassiana suspension. The trial was arranged by randomized complete block design with a factorial arrangement. The factor were spore concentration of B. bassiana (0; 2; and 4 g/ 10 l) and cocoa varieties (family of ICS 60, TSH858, and hybrid). The trial were use four replications. The results showed that the fungal entomopathogen B. bassiana was established as an endophyte in cocoa seedling, both from cocoa seeds and nursery application. Percentage of existence of B. bassiana colonies as endophytes one month after seeds application were ICS 60 amounted to 93.3 % both on concentration treatments, while the families of TSH 858 by 80 % and 86.67 % respectively in 2 g and 4 g per 10 l of B. bassiana spores concentration treament.. The lowest percentage was in hybrids, which amounted to 66.67% and 50%. B. bassiana colonies was exixtence as an endophyte in culture from root, stem and leaves of cocoa seedling up to 5 months post inoculation. While the application on nursery by soil drenshing, leaf spraying, and stem injection , it was known that B. bassiana colonies were found in the tissues of leaves, stems, and roots until two months after application. Colonies of B. bassiana as endophytes still exsist until six weeks after nursery was planted in the field.
How to Cite
Sulistyowati, E., & Nur AINI, F. (2015). Existence of entomopathogen fungi, Beauveria bassiana as an endophyte in cacao seedlings. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 31(3), 186-195. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v31i3.173
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Endang Sulistyowati, Effect of Pollen Feed on Parasitization and Predatism of Cephalonomia stephanoderis onHypothenemus hampei , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 1 (2014)
- Endang Sulistyowati, Muhammad Ghorir, Suryo Wardani, Setyo Purwoko, The Effectiveness of Lemongrass, Garlic, and Tree Marigold as Botanical Insecticides in Controlling of Cocoa Mirid,Helopeltis antonii , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 1 (2014)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Endang Sulistyowati, Dwi Suci Rahayu, Abundance of Pollinator Insect (Forcipomyia spp .) of Cocoa Under Some Shade Trees , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 2 (2016)
- Endang Sulistyowati, Dwi Suci Rahayu, Merle Shepard, Gerry Carner, Auto-Dissemination of Beauveria Bassiana in Controlling Coffee Berry Borer , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 33 No 2 (2017)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Endang Sulistyowati, Biological Control of Cocoa Pod Borer (Conopomorpha cramerella Snell) Using Egg Parasitoids of Trichogrammatoidea bactrae fumata in East Java , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 34 No 1 (2018)