Published Aug 31, 2017
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Dwi Suci Rahayu
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Coffee berry borer (CBB), Hypothenemus hampei Ferr. (Coleoptera, Scolytidae) is generally controlled by applying integrated pest management, particularly through sanitation and using biological agents. Beauveria bassiana is wellknown as an entomopathogenic fungus, which has been proven to be the most effective and prospective agent that could be developed to control CBB. Dissemination of microbial biocontrol agents via insect or predators may has advantages for safe spore dispersal to targeted pests with the added benefit of predation. The research with aim to determine if spores of B. bassiana can be picked up by CBB from disseminated containers had been conducted at Plant Protection Laboratory and Kaliwining Experimental Station of Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute. Ten infected coffee berries and ten CBB adults were sprayed with various concentration of B. bassiana suspension, and then infested them in 10 healthy berries in petridish. The same trials was conducted in the field, by infested them to healthy berries on coffee branches. Observation was done on the percentage of infected berries and number of CBB infected by B. bassiana inside the berries. The results showed that spores of B. bassiana could be picked up by CBB from disseminated containers, although it was very low (2.5%). B. bassiana was not effective in suppressing CBB infestation by auto-dissemination, therefore to improve the effectiveness of B. bassiana in controlling CBB, it was advised to re-spray at least 3 times in every cropping season, especially at the flying time of CBB around 2 P.M.
How to Cite
Sulistyowati, E., Suci Rahayu, D., Shepard, M., & Carner, G. (2017). Auto-Dissemination of Beauveria Bassiana in Controlling Coffee Berry Borer. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 33(2), 118-127. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v33i2.265
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Endang Sulistyowati, Febrilia Nur AINI, Existence of entomopathogen fungi, Beauveria bassiana as an endophyte in cacao seedlings , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 3 (2015)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Endang Sulistyowati, Effect of Pollen Feed on Parasitization and Predatism of Cephalonomia stephanoderis onHypothenemus hampei , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 1 (2014)
- Endang Sulistyowati, Muhammad Ghorir, Suryo Wardani, Setyo Purwoko, The Effectiveness of Lemongrass, Garlic, and Tree Marigold as Botanical Insecticides in Controlling of Cocoa Mirid,Helopeltis antonii , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 1 (2014)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Endang Sulistyowati, Dwi Suci Rahayu, Abundance of Pollinator Insect (Forcipomyia spp .) of Cocoa Under Some Shade Trees , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 2 (2016)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Niken Puspita Sari, Development of Pratylenchus coffeae in Biochar Applied Soil, Coffee Roots and Its Effect on Plant Growth , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 33 No 1 (2017)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Endang Sulistyowati, Biological Control of Cocoa Pod Borer (Conopomorpha cramerella Snell) Using Egg Parasitoids of Trichogrammatoidea bactrae fumata in East Java , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 34 No 1 (2018)
- Dwi Suci Rahayu, Soekadar Wiryadiputra, Diversity of Arthropods and Parasitic Nematodes Population in Intercropping Patterns of Robusta Coffee , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 35 No 1 (2019)