Published Dec 31, 2006
Main Article Content
Agung Wahyu Susilo
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Universitas Gajah Mada
Universitas Gajah Mada
Characteristic study on CPB resistance had been carried out by characterizing mesocarp layer of cocoa pod where egg laying and larva penetration are carried out. For this study, 4 clones were selected which performed different response to CPB, namely resistant clones of KW 514 and ARDACIAR 10, moderately resistant clone of KW 411 and the susceptible clone of RCC 72. Pod samples were classified as young and mature were detached from cocoa collection at the experimental station of Kaliwining, Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute in Jember. Characterization was conducted based on microchemical method at the Microtechnique Laboratory of Gadjah Mada University to identify trichome appearance at upper layer of pod, distributed granules of tannin through mesocarp and lignification of the sclerotic. It was characterized that the trichome density performing resistant in which the resistant and moderately resistant clones had more number of trichome density than of the susceptible one. The distributed granules of tannin at young pod showed significant difference among those clones that indicate resistant characteristics. The number of distributed granules of tannin was higher of those the resistant and moderatly resistant clones than of the susceptible clones that were formed both at furrow and at ridge of pod. However, the granules of tannin were distributed more at ridge than at furrow where furrow were preferred by CPB for egg laying. The characteristic differences between the resistant and moderately resistant clones were identified based on the intensity of lignification at sclerotic tissue. The lignified tissue of the resistant clones perform more intensive and more compact than of the moderately resistant clones. Tissue of young pod of the moderately resistant and susceptible clones was not yet lignified. Thickness of lignified tissue at the furrow of resistant clone was higher than of the moderately resistant and susceptible clones. Key words : Theobroma cocoa L.,cocoa pod borer, resistant, mesocarp, sclerotic, trichome, tannin.
How to Cite
Wahyu Susilo, A., Mangoendidjojo, W., & ., W. (2006). Relationship Between Pod Characteristics of Some Cocoa Clones (T. cacaoL.) and Their Resistance Response to Cocoa Pod Borer. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 23(3). https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v23i3.38
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Indah Anita Sari, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Development of Selection Criteria on Bean Weight Character of Cocoa (Theobroma cacaoL.) through Path Analysis Approach , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 3 (2013)
- Agung Wahyu Susilo, Self-Compatibility Crosses of Several Cocoa Clones , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 22 No 3 (2006)