Published May 1, 2008
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute
Herbal coffee is one of the coffee diversivication product that has been well recognized in the market. The addition of herbs or spices, such as ginger, pasak bumi (Eurycoma longifolia), Panax (from the genus of Panax L.) and Habbatussauda (black cumin/black seed/Nigella sativa) in the coffee, not only offer an enhanced flavor characteristic, but more importantly also offer the consumer to gain a health benefit which are possessed by the herbs used. Cardamom (Amonum cardomum) is commonly recognized as a food spices to add flavor to dishes. Cardamom is also known as a herb that possess health benefit such as the medicine for tonsil and throat inflammation, fever, asthma and fatigue reliever. This research was aimed to develop a herbal coffee containing the extract of cardamom and to study the characteristic of herbal coffee obtained physicochemically and by sensory analysis. Crystallized coffee and sugar mixture was blended with cardamom extract by several ratio, which were 90%:10%, 80%:20%, 70%:30%, 60%:40% and 50%:50% to obtain ready to drink cardamom herbal coffee. The mixtures and control (without the addition of cardamom) were then subjected for consumer perception by testing it to 30 panelist based on hedonic sensory test. The 3 mixtures that were choosen were then analysed for its physicochemical characteristic such as its powder and brewing appearrance, insoluble solids, reducing sugar and caffein concentration. The result showed that the addition of 10%, 20% and 30% cardamom extracthad good preferences to consumer, which 10% of addition resulted the highest preferences. The hedonic sensory test resulted the preferences of the aforementioned herbal coffee on color, aroma, taste and flavor was 3.37; 3.14; 3.30; 3.27 and 3.37 (on scale 1 to 5), respectively, representing moderately like to like preferences.The physiscochemical analysis show that the mixture contain 0.17% of insoluble solid, 0.13% of reducing sugar and 0.45% caffeine which comply the Indonesia standard of SNI 4446:1998. This result show that the cardamom herbal coffee is potential to be developed as on of coffee diversification product. Keywords: coffee mix, herbal, cardamom, coffee diversification.
How to Cite
Misnawi, M., & Wahyudi, T. (2008). Effects of Stearin and Lecithin Concentrations on Physical Properties of Chocolate. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 24(1). https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v24i1.96
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Misnawi Jati, Susijahadi ., Jinap Selamat, Teguh Wahyudi, Novrita Putriani, Effects of Alkali Concentration and Conching Temperature on Flavour, Hardness and Colour of Chocolate , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 22 No 2 (2006)
- Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Teguh Wahyudi, Amrita Sulihkanti, Analysis of luwak coffee volatile by using solid phase microextraction and gas chromatography (Analisa senyawa volatil kopi luwak dengan menggunakan mikroekstrasi fase padat dan kromatolgi gas). , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 28 No 2 (2012)
- Ariza Budi Tunjung-Sari, Teguh Wahyudi, Diana Chusna Mufida, Mekania Tamarizki, Desyana Perwitahati, Ihda Kartika Syamsuddin, Misnawi Jati, Use of cocoa ethanolic extract for treatment of Staphylococcal infection in rabbit-skin model , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 1 (2016)
- Asma Assa, Alfian Noor, Misnawi Misnawi, Muh. Natsir Djide, Muliadi Muliadi, Protein and Mineral Contents of Cocoa Beans Fermentation from Luwu Timur Regency, South Sulawesi , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 33 No 3 (2017)
- Misnawi Misnawi, Ariza Budi Tunjungsari, Noor Ariefandie Febrianto, Resa Setia Adiandri, Fahrizal Fahrizal, Fahrurrozi Fahrurrozi, Improvement of Small Scale Cocoa Fermentation Using Lactobacillus fermentumas Starter Culture , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 33 No 3 (2017)
- Ariza Budi Tunjung Sari, Misnawi Misnawi, Pratiwi Pudjiastuti, Afaf Baktir, Serum lipid profiles of ovariectomized rats following short-term administration of cocoa powder and ethanolic extract. , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 35 No 2 (2019)