Published Feb 26, 2015
Main Article Content
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Insitute
Nadya Faiqotul Hikmah
John Bako Baon
Ammonia (NH3) volatilization is a crucial mechanism in soil nitrogen (N) cycle. It accounts for main loss of N in cocoa farms when environment is suitable to promote the emission. A research to locate a link of several factors, namely, sugarcane filter cake (SFC), urea and soil moisture content to NH 3 volatilization, and to reveal cocoa N uptake and urea fertilizer efficiency was taken place both in a laboratory with the incubation technique, and in a greenhouse as a pot trial. The design was completely randomized design in factorial. The soil was Inceptisol from Kaliwining Experimental Station, Jember, East Java, collected from top soil of a productive cocoa farm. A closed trap system was designed to measurevolatilized NH 3 from soil and SFC mixture incubated for 14 days. For the pot experiment, cocoa clone of Scavina 6 seedlings were grown for six months withtreatments involving series level of SFC and series level of urea. Soil moisture content influenced volatilized NH3 by reducing 50% emission in where it was more obvious in higher level of urea applied. It was more than 90% in average for the increase in volatilized NH 3roduced by increasing in level of urea from 0 to 0.4 g kg -1 in overall level of combinations. An increase in urea level had resulted in increase in soil pH, and Parson correlation suggested a direct link with volatilized NH 3 We found a relationship between SFC and volatilized NH 3 and their combinations with soil moisture and urea content were able to inhibit the emission. Emission decrease up to 28% was observed from 0 to 100 g SFC kg-1. This inhibition may have contributed to the increase in N cocoa plant uptake by more than 70% compared to control and subsequent increase in N fertilizer supply efficiency up to 86% in the combination with 0.2 g urea kg-1. The absence of SFC had made a decline in urea efficiency about 20 times.Keywords: ammonia volatilization, sugarcane filter cake, urea, soil moisture, cocoa
How to Cite
Prastowo, E., Hikmah, N., & Baon, J. (2015). Ammonia Volatilization in Cocoa Farm as Affected by Sugarcane Filter Cake Supply at Different Urea and Soil Moisture Levels. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 30(3), 208-219. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v30i3.63
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Erwin Prastowo, Novie Pranata Erdiansyah, Rina Arimarsetiowati, Leaf Mineral Composition of Coffee Infected by a Hemileia vastatrix Fungus in Bondowoso, East Java , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 35 No 1 (2019)
- Erwin Prastowo, Rina Arimarsetiowati, Characteristics of coffee as a response to different environmental conditions in Lampung: I. Morphological variations , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 35 No 2 (2019)
- Erwin Prastowo, John Bako Baon, Factors Determining the Characteristics of Cocoa Soil in Sulawesi , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 36 No 1 (2020)
- Erwin Prastowo, Lina Dwi Agustina, Cahyo Prayogo, Earthworm Abundance and Soil Characteristics Following Cocoa Waste and Manure Applications , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 36 No 1 (2020)
- Erwin Prastowo, Laily Mukaromah, Short-term dynamics of leaf litter-derived soil organic carbon under different coffee and cocoa cropping systems , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 36 No 3 (2020)
- Erwin Prastowo, Irawan Dwiyanto, Setyo Budi Santoso, Nitrogen uptake of cocoa seedlings as a response of cocoa pod husk derived liquid organic fertilizer application in combination with urea , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 37 No 1 (2021)