Published Apr 30, 2016
Main Article Content
Indah Anita Sari
Marcelinus A.S. Adhiwibawa
Ma Chung University
Agung Wahyu Susilo
A problem encountered in plant breeding process to determine bean color quality of fine-flavor cocoa is a long selection period. Preliminary results indicatedthat the fine-flavor cocoa has a low color reflectance than bulk cocoa. The objectiveof this study is to find more applicable and easier method to do the early detectionof fine-flavor cocoa on the breeding population. Detection of the leaf color haracteristics was done by chromatographic and spectrophotometry analysis. hromatographic analysis was carried out in Kaliwining Experimental Station, IndonesianCoffee and Cocoa Research Institute using complete random design consistedof two types of cocoa; fine-flavor (10 clones) and bulk cocoa (10 clones). pectrophotometric analysis was conducted at Ma Chung University, Malang, East Java.Four clones of bulk cocoa and six clones of fine flavor cocoa were used in thisanalysis. The results of the study showed that the flush color characteristics of thefine-flavor cocoa were different from the bulk cocoa characteristics as shown bythe differences in the value of L*, b* and anthocyanin content. Flush characteristic s ofthe fine-flavor cocoa had brighter color, more toward green with higher yellowlevel, while the bulk cocoa had darker flush, red and lower yellow level. Thecolor parameter of L* and b* had a higher genetic variation compared with theenvironment variation. However, the parameter a* had a higher environmental variation compared with genetic variation. Grouping of fine-flavor cocoa and bulk cocoacould be done through the detection of flush anthocyanin content, when tendencyof flush anthocyanin content on fine-flavor cocoa was lower than bulk cocoa.The detection of flush color particularly L* and b* parameters through hromatographic analysis and anthocyanin content through spectrophotometric analysismay be used as a criteria for selection the fine flavor cocoa on seedling phase.
How to Cite
Sari, I., Setyawan, B., Adhiwibawa, M., & Susilo, A. (2016). Chromatographic identification of leaf color characteristics on fine-flavor and bulk cacao as selection indicator. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 32(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v32i1.210
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Indah Anita Sari, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Performance of Some Promising Genotypes of Fine-flavour Cocoa Selected at Penataran Estate, East Java , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 2 (2014)
- Indah Anita Sari, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Phenology of Flowering and Pod Maturity on Some Cocoa Clones (Theobroma cacao L) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 2 (2015)
- Indah Anita Sari, Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Agung Wahyu Susilo, Relationship between Physiological Characteristic and Bean Quality on Some Cocoa Clones (Theobroma cacao L.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 3 (2015)
- Agung Wahyu Soesilo, Poppy Arisandy, Indah Anita Sari, Rudi Harimurti, Relationship Analysis Between Leaf-Stomata Characteristics with Cocoa Resistance to Vascular-Streak Dieback , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 1 (2016)
- Bayu Setyawan, Taryono ., Suyadi Mitrowihardjo, Determination of Selection Index of Cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) Yield Traits Using Regression Methods , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 2 (2016)
- Agung Wahyu Susilo, Bayu Setyawan, Indah Anita Sari, Yield Performance of Some Promising Cocoa Clones (Theobroma cacao L.) at Dry Climate Condition , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 36 No 1 (2020)
- Agung Wahyu Susilo, Sobir Sobir, Adinda Wuriandani, Desta Wirnas, Seedling Performance of Cocoa Genotypes (Theobroma cacao L.) in Drought Stress Condition. , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 35 No 3 (2019)
- Bayu Setyawan, Indah Anita-Sari, Fatrezza Ihsan, Heksan Panua, Branching angles of several cocoa genotypes and their effect on determining optimum plant spacing , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 37 No 3 (2021)