Published Aug 31, 2005
Main Article Content
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Balai Penelitian Bioteknologi Perkebunan Indonesia
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Genetic engineering of Robusta coffee resistant to fungal diseases might be done by introducing a chitinase-encoding gene into genome of this plant. This research was aimed to confirm transgenic plant of BP 308 clone Robusta coffee transformed by chi gene and to evaluate its ability for the somatic embryogenesis. Confirmation of transgenic was carried out by analysis the presence of NPTII gene as a selectable marker for Canamysin resistant using PCR technique. The somatic embryo initiation and reproduction were evaluated in 11 plant accessions. Three kinds of sucrose concentration, 20%, 30% and 40% were applied in initiation stage of somatic embryo germination. The suitability of 4 medium, namely M1 (without addition by liquid medium), M2 (addition by liquid medium contained 0.25 mg/l kinetin), M3 (addition by liquid medium contained 0.25 mg/l IAA) and M4 (addition by liquid medium contained 0.25 mg/l GA3 ) was evaluated for somatic embryo maturation. The result showed that 8 out of 10 plant accessions tested were transgenic and they could be propagated through somatic embryogenesis. The ability of transgenic plant for somatic embryo initiation, reproduction and regeneration were similar with that of nontransgenic one. Germination of somatic embryo could be improved by using 40% sucrose. Maturation of somatic embryo could be improved by addition of fresh liquid medium on the ancient gelled medium that used for somatic embryos reproduction. The best result was obtained on addition of fresh medium contained 0.25 mg/l GA 3 in which 65% of the somatic embryos developed to pre-germinate somatic embryo. Key words: Coffea canephora, transgenic plant, somatic embryogenesis.
How to Cite
., P., Budiani, A., & Mawardi, S. (2005). Confirmation of Transgenic Robusta Coffee (Coffea canephora) Transformed by Chitinase-encoding Gene and Its Propagation Through Somatic Embryogenesis. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 21(2). https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v21i2.16
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Lya Aklimawati, Yusianto ., Surip Mawardi, Characteristics of Quality Profile and Agribusiness of Robusta Coffee in Tambora Mountainside, Sumbawa , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 2 (2014)
- Ucu Sumirat, Fitria Yuliasmara, Priyono ., Analysis of Cutting Growth Characteristics in Robusta Coffee(Coffea canephora Pierre.) , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 29 No 3 (2013)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Sumarno, Surip Mawardi, Effect of Service Quality on Coffee Based Economic Cluster Development on Farmers and other Stakeholders Satisfaction in Bondowoso District , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 1 (2015)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Soemarno, Surip Mawardi, Identification and Mapping of Readiness of Micro and Small Coffee Industry Cluster Development , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 31 No 3 (2015)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Soemarno, Surip Mawardi, Application of Marketing Mix in Home Industry: Focussed on Micro and Small-Scale Coffee Industries , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 1 (2016)
- Lya Aklimawati, Djoko Soemarno, Surip Mawardi, Factors Affecting Micro and Small-Scale Industries Income: A Case Study on Coffee Processing Industry , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 32 No 2 (2016)