Published Dec 31, 2013
Main Article Content
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Pusat Penelitian Kopi dan Kakao Indonesia
Coffee fermentation is a step of wet processing. In fact, some microorganisms naturally exist on the surface of coffee cherry. Using a starter culture of microorganisms may change equilibrium of microorganism population. Among some safe fermentation agents are present in “ragi tape” (yeast), “ragi tempe”, and fermented milk. A fermentor machine equipped with eating-control and stirrer had been designed, and tested before. Some treatments investigated were fermentation containers (fermentor machine and plastic sacks); fermentation agents (fresh cage-luwakcoffee, “ragi tape”, “ragi tempe”, and fermented milk); temperature of fermentation (room, 30 C, 35 C, and 40 C); and duration of fermentation (6, 12, and 18 hours). The experiment were replicated three times. Wet-coffee parchments were washed and sundried until moisture content reached 12%. The dried parchment was hulled and examined for the bean quality and flavors. The experiment indicated that 40 C fermentation in fermentor machine resulted in higher content of “full sour defect”. Fermentation agents significanly influenced bean size. Temperature treatment significanly influenced bulk density and bean size. The best flavor profile was obtained from fermentation in plastic sack at ambient temperature. Bacteria of fermented milk and “fresh luwak coffee” as fermentation agents resulted up to excellent flavor. Twelve hours fermentation produced best flavor of Arabica coffee compared to 6 and 18 hours. Key words: Arabica coffee, fermentation, flavour, fermentation agents
How to Cite
., Y., & Widyotomo, S. (2013). Quality and Flavor Profiles of Arabica Coffee Processed by Some Fermentation Treatments: Temperature, Containers, and Fermentation Agents Addition. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 29(3). https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v29i3.14
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Lya Aklimawati, Yusianto ., Surip Mawardi, Characteristics of Quality Profile and Agribusiness of Robusta Coffee in Tambora Mountainside, Sumbawa , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 30 No 2 (2014)
- Sukrisno Widyotomo, Sri Mulato, Edi Suharyanto, Performance of Rotary Cutter Type Breaking Machine for Breakingand Deshelling Cocoa Roasted Beans , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 21 No 3 (2005)
- Yusianto ., Retno Hulupi, Sulistyowati ., Cahya Ismayadi, Physical, Chemicals and Flavors of Some Varieties of Arabica Coffee , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 21 No 3 (2005)
- Misnwai Jati, Sukrisno Widyotomo, Awad Sewed, Sugiyono ., Optimation of Temperature and Duration of Cocoa Beans Roasting in a CylindricalRoaster , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 21 No 3 (2005)
- Sukrisno Widyotomo, Sri Mulato, Edi Suharyanto, Optimizing of a Horizontal Cylinder Type Cocoa Roaster for Dried Cocoa Cotyledon Roasting , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 22 No 2 (2006)
- Sri Mulato, Sukrisno widyotomo, Hadi Karia Purwadaria, Performance of Disk Mill Type Mechanical Grinder for Size Reducing Process of Robusta Roasted Beans , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 23 No 3 (2007)